Author: Bob Brensel | President, Pharmacist | ScriptWorks
Bob Brensel, RPh, earned his Pharmacy Degree at University of the Pacific in Stockton, California in 1980. He was honored as a student with the Longs Drugs Stores, “Outstanding Intern Scholarship” in 1977. Read More →
Inflammation of the outer ear (otitis externa) is the third-leading cause of visits to the veterinarian for canine patients. Ear infections are a common ailment in dogs, causing discomfort and distress for our furry friends. If your dog is scratching their ears, shaking their head, or showing signs of discomfort, it is essential to address the issue promptly.
ScriptWorks Compounding Pharmacy’s potential solution for addressing ear infections in dogs is Bi-Phasic Otic Gel, a thermo-reversible soothing, water-soluble gel for weekly applications into the dog ear.
In this blog, we’ll explore what ScriptWorks’ Bi-Phasic Gel is, how it works, and why it may be a valuable option for your canine companion.
Understanding Dog Ear Infections
Dog ear infections, known as otitis, can be caused by various factors, including allergies, bacterial or yeast overgrowth, foreign objects, or trapped moisture. These infections can affect the outer ear (otitis externa), middle ear (otitis media), or inner ear (otitis interna), with otitis externa being the most common.
Signs of ear infections in dogs may include:
- Scratching or rubbing the ears
- Head shaking or head tilting
- Odor coming from the ears
- Redness and inflammation
- Discharge or wax buildup
- Pain or sensitivity when the ears are touched
NOTE: If you notice these symptoms, it’s crucial to seek veterinary care to determine the cause and the best approach.
What is ScriptWorks Bi-Phasic Gel?
ScriptWorks’ team of veterinary clinical pharmacists will examine the cytology labs and review bacterial cultures and sensitivities and then identify the best options to eliminate the bacterial pathogens of our patients. This service is complimentary to all veterinarians who work with us.
“With emerging bacterial resistance, it is more important than ever to perform bacterial cultures and sensitivities to identify the best options to eliminate the bacterial pathogens of our patients.
Having the option of a compounded ScriptWorks’ Bi-Phasic Otic Gel has provided a great tool in our battle against bacteria otitis. The patients have benefited from this customized option to deliver the antibiotic/antimicrobial +/- steroids they need and the clients have appreciated the less frequent administration.”
– Stacey Holz, DVM, SAGE Veterinary Specialists, Dermatology
How ScriptWorks’ Bi-Phasic Gel Works
ScriptWorks Bi-Phasic Gel contains several key ingredients that work together to address ear infections:
- Antibacterial agents: The gel often contains antibacterial agents, such as antibiotics, to combat bacterial infections that may be present in the dog’s ear canal.
- Antifungal agents: In cases where yeast overgrowth is the cause of the infection, ScriptWorks Bi-Phasic Gel contains antifungal agents to combat the yeast and help restore a healthy ear environment.
- Anti-inflammatory properties: Various formulations also include ingredients with anti-inflammatory properties to reduce redness, swelling, and discomfort.
- Bi-Phasic gel is a non-irritating base that helps dislodge debris, wax, and bacteria, making it easier to flush and clean the ear canal during application.
- Typically, weekly administration results in positive results the first prescription.
Potential Benefits of ScriptWorks’ Bi-Phasic Gel
- Targeted approach: ScriptWorks’ Bi-Phasic Gel is a specifically designed water-soluble gel to address ear infections in dogs, providing a more direct and effective approach to managing the condition.
- The gel has bio-adhesive qualities which help it adhere to horizontal and vertical ear canals.
- Easy application: The gel is easy to apply and allows for precise administration into the ear canal, ensuring the medication reaches the affected area.
- Minimized side effects: When used as directed by a veterinarian, ScriptWorks’ Bi-Phasic Gel is generally safe, and well-tolerated by dogs, with minimal side effects.
- Potential quick relief: Many dogs experience rapid relief from the discomfort associated with ear infections, such as itching and pain, after administration.
- Reduces the risk of complications: Prompt and effective addressing of ear infections may prevent more severe issues, such as eardrum damage, from developing.
- ScriptWorks’ Bi-Phasic Gel may also be used in serious oral and sinus infections in rabbits.
ScriptWorks recommends applying 1 dose every 5 to 7 days, then flushing the ears with an EDTA solution and then reapplying for 2 to 4 weeks (2 to 4 doses).
ScriptWorks Bi-Phasic Gel is a problem-solver
Applied less often with dramatically better results
- Applied every 7 days to enhance client compliance
- Thermoreversible (fluid state when cold, gel state at body temperature)
- Bioadhesive to better adhere to, and treat horizontal and vertical canals
- Customized multiple ingredients (Antibiotics, Steroids, Antifungals)
- Water soluble for easy flushing of the ear due to perforation
- Dental abscesses in rabbits
- Wound care
- Dental care
Consult Your Veterinarian
Before using ScriptWorks’ Bi-Phasic Gel or any other medication, it’s crucial to consult your veterinarian. They will diagnose the type and cause of the ear infection and recommend the most suitable plan. Your veterinarian will provide detailed instructions on how to apply the gel, how often to use it, and for how long.
ScriptWorks’ Bi-Phasic Gel is a potentially valuable tool in addressing dog ear infections, offering a targeted and effective solution to alleviate discomfort and address the underlying causes. Remember to consult your veterinarian for a proper diagnosis and plan, ensuring the best care for your furry friend’s ear health.